The most important person to positively influence your children is YOU. The following are 10 parenting mistakes you must avoid if you want to ensure that the children in your life grow into healthy and happy human beings.
Childhood is a very delicate time in the lives of our children. They are learning, experiencing, and growing at an exponential rate. This can be difficult for parents because we are also learning and growing during this process.
As parents, it is easy to make mistakes with our children when we don’t know what to do or how to handle certain situations that arise from the growth of our children.
Most of us love our parents. But we also recognize that some of their actions have led us to suffer negative consequences as children and then as adults.
Then again, some people know that their parents messed them up. I am sorry if that happened to you-you don’t deserve that. (But you heal from it, as many people have done)
- They are ignoring their children’s achievements, refusing to give praise.
- Their endless criticism and judgment of their children.
- They are constantly comparing their children with friends, cousins, neighbors, and each other.
- Favoritism among siblings.
- Saying things like: “I feed you and pay for your bills, and this is how you repay me?”😭
- They are handing their unachieved dreams onto their children, expecting them to fulfill them.
- They spend very little time with their children or are distant from their love.
- They refuse to listen to their children’s problems and give them emotional support.
Parenting is one of the most challenging jobs in the world, but mistakes are bound to happen. The key is to learn from these mishaps and do better next time.
Parenting is an art that can be challenging, but it doesn’t have to add trauma to your child’s life.